Thursday 24 April 2014

Dragon Age: Inquisition and Other Shiny, Pretty Things

I'm a sucker for good looks and, good goddamn, Dragon Age: Inquisition is pretty. However, here is my confession: I am a hydrophile.

When I should have been focussed upon reaching my rendez-vous with the Normandy during the Reaper attack on Vancouver, I found myself staring at the beautifully rendered water: the movement and colour of it, the way it reflected and caught the light. While Anderson barked increasingly impatient commands, this Alliance soldier was marvelling at the splash and spray induced by the massive Reaper in the harbour thundering towards us. Instead of securing a comm-link to get aid to the wounded, I was delighting in the way the water interacted with the detritus of destruction.

I loved swimming in Fable III and Skyrim, but the aquatic aesthetics and physics were never quite right. Now I hear tell that the Dales boast interactive water and I am all agog, for I have spent more time than I dare confess admiring the waters of Thedas:



The only other game employing Frostbite 3 technology and featuring interactive water is Dice's Battlefield 4 (2013). I'm not a big fan of first-person shooters, but we both know I wasn't watching this for the gameplay:


Inquisitor's Edition, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dread Wolf's Lover

Of course Tala will try to redeem him. As if you had to ask. "Tala sometimes came awake from dreams in which her lover wa...