Sunday 10 February 2013

Mass Effect 4

The truth is, I am more inclined to be pleased than displeased when it comes to the games and DLC of Mass Effect. Yes, I may complain, but when it comes down to it, time after time, I have parted with my hard-earned cash to get BioWare’s latest release for the series without hesitation. And I never listen to “professional” critics. However, with the news that BioWare is working on a fourth Mass Effect Game as well as a new Intellectual Property (IP), given the present handling of the Mass Effect 3 ending, I am disinclined to contribute to the financial well-being of BioWare/EA until YouTube walkthroughs of these games are made available.  After countless hours of playing, I liken my relationship with the Mass Effect Trilogy development team as that with a beloved sibling: I may not always agree with their decisions, but I love them, anyway. That relationship does not necessarily extend to the new Mass Effect or toward the new IP.

If the current development team at BioWare inherited an excellent IP, only to ruin it in the end, I have little faith in their ability to create an entirely new IP from the ground up.  The fact they consider it a disservice to the new Mass Effect game by referring to it as Mass Effect 4, is a plaintive, but ultimately futile, appeal to not allow the controversy associated with the Mass Effect 3 ending affect sales of BioWare's next foray into the Mass Effect universe.  This is of particular significance since EA has most recently posted 3rd quarter losses and may continue to do so.

So BioWare, prove me wrong. Bring back the mounting excitement as we near release day and the heady feeling of extravagance as I pay full price in order to be one of the privileged to play your latest release first; because after this last DLC, I may never feel that way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dread Wolf's Lover

Of course Tala will try to redeem him. As if you had to ask. "Tala sometimes came awake from dreams in which her lover wa...