Saturday 9 March 2013

TEC: The Eastgate Chronicles is reunited with jMonkey Engine!

So, I bit the bullet and upgraded my OS in order to be able to use jMonkey. I was excited about learning how to program in C++ to use the Irrlicht engine, but after seeking advice and doing some research, I got the impression that just might be an exercise in frustration at this juncture, given my pitifully limited knowledge and experience.

Besides, I didn't need the latest OS release, so upgrading wasn't as costly as I had originally feared.

So far I've:
  • Refined my Game Design Document by reviewing Stéphanie Bouchard's first three lectures from Introduction to Game Design
  • Read the first three parts of Combat Design 101 from Adrian Sotelo
  • Gone through the first 3 tutorials for jMonkey (which were a little confusing, but I eventually managed to figure out the terminology and the fact that one of the right-click instructions was probably for a previous version)
  • Downloaded Blender (and instantly got intimidated)
  • Located the Blender tutorials at cgcookie.com and breathed an immediate sigh of relief at the words "this tutorial series is aimed at the absolute beginner"
  • Completed the basic Blender modelling tutorials on interface navigation, modelling, and animation

If the full extent of my ambition hadn't hit me before, it sure did now. And I wanted to create 3 levels by the time the next Mass Effect game was released-- Hah! O my sun and stars, what have I gotten myself into?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dread Wolf's Lover

Of course Tala will try to redeem him. As if you had to ask. "Tala sometimes came awake from dreams in which her lover wa...